Here’s the process for registering your drone with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Please note that procedures and requirements might have changed since then, so I recommend visiting the FAA’s official website for the most current and accurate information. Here are the general steps:
- Determine if Registration is Required: In the United States, drones that weigh between 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and 55 pounds (approximately 25 kilograms) need to be registered with the FAA. Drones weighing less than 0.55 pounds do not need to be registered.
- Create an Account: Visit the FAA’s official drone registration website at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/. Create an account using your email address and password.
- Provide Owner Information: Fill out the required information about yourself as the owner of the drone. This includes your name, physical address, and mailing address.
- Pay Registration Fee: There is typically a registration fee. Make the required payment using a credit or debit card.
- Register the Drone: Provide information about the drone you are registering. This includes the make, model, serial number (if applicable), and any other requested details.
- Receive Registration Number: Once you’ve completed the registration process, you will receive a unique registration number. This number needs to be displayed on your drone in a visible location.
- Keep Proof of Registration: You will receive a registration certificate. Keep this certificate as proof of registration. If you have multiple drones, you can use the same registration number for all of them.
- Renew Registration: Drone registration needs to be renewed every three years. The FAA will typically send you a reminder to renew your registration.
It’s crucial to follow the FAA’s guidelines and rules for drone registration to ensure compliance with aviation regulations. Additionally, remember that these steps are based on information available up to September 2021, and there might have been updates or changes since then. Always consult the official FAA website or contact the FAA directly for the latest and most accurate information regarding drone registration.
FAA Drone Registration Page
Steps to Register your drone
- Visit the URL https://faadronezone-operator.faa.gov/
- Click on Manage Device Inventory
- Click on ADD DEVICE button (Right side)
- Fill Out the information
- Does your drone broadcast FAA RemoteID information? You will need to check Yes after September 16th, 2023
- Device Type
- Standard Remote ID (For Built-in Remote ID)
- Remote ID Broadcast Module (For drones which do not have built-in Remote ID)
- UAS Manufacturer (e.g. DJI)
- UAS Model (e.g. Mini 3
- REMOTE ID SERIAL NUMBER
- Standard Remote ID: You must get this information from your device inside the Fly App or available as a serial number. Learn More about Remote ID Here…
- Remote ID Broadcast Module: This information should be available as part of the serial number. E.g., My DroneBeacon remote ID starts with 1787F
Emailed FAA Certification of Registration
Below is an example of an emailed FAA certification of Registration for your Drone.